There currently are 12 United States congressional districts in New Jersey based on results from the 2020 census. There were once as many as 15. The fifteenth district was lost after the 1980 census, the fourteenth district was lost after the 1990 census, and the thirteenth district was lost after the 2010 census.
Between the 1998 and 2018 elections, Democrats held between 6 and 8 seats. The 2018 elections brought Democrats to 11 of the 12 seats, which was their highest since the 1912 elections. This left Chris Smith in the 4th district as the only Republican member of New Jersey's congressional delegation for the 116th Congress. It was also the first time since that election that Republicans failed to hold any seat in North Jersey. In the 118th Congress, Democrats hold 9 of the 12 seats.
Current districts and representatives
List of members of the United States House delegation from New Jersey, their terms, their district boundaries, and the district political ratings, according to the CPVI. The delegation has a total of 12 members, including 9 Democrats and 3 Republicans.
|Current U.S. representatives from New Jersey|
|Democratic||November 12, 2014||D+10|
Jeff Van Drew
|Republican||January 3, 2019||R+5|
|Democratic||January 3, 2019||D+5|
|Republican||January 3, 1981||R+14|
|Democratic||January 3, 2017||D+4|
|Democratic||November 8, 1988||D+8|
Thomas Kean Jr.
|Republican||January 3, 2023||R+1|
|Democratic||January 3, 2023||D+22|
|Democratic||January 3, 1997||D+8|
Donald Payne Jr.
|Democratic||November 15, 2012||D+30|
|Democratic||January 3, 2019||D+6|
Bonnie Watson Coleman
|Democratic||January 3, 2015||D+12|
Historical district boundaries
Below is a table of United States congressional district boundary maps for the State of New Jersey, presented chronologically. All redistricting events that took place in New Jersey in the decades between 1973 and 2013 are shown.
- 13th district, obsolete since the 2010 census
- 14th district, obsolete since the 1990 census
- 15th district, obsolete since the 1980 census
- At-large district, obsolete since 1843
- United States congressional delegations from New Jersey
- List of United States congressional districts
- "Office of the Clerk, U.S. House of Representatives". clerk.house.gov. Retrieved January 6, 2022.
- "2022 Cook PVI: District Map and List". Cook Political Report. Retrieved January 5, 2023.
- "Digital Boundary Definitions of United States Congressional Districts, 1789–2012". Retrieved October 18, 2014.